Are you someone who loves Asian cuisine? Well, if yes, you are at the right place. Today, in this article, we are going to talk about how to cook tiger prawns to a perfect standard.
This recipe blends perfectly with the prawns and adds some great flavours of lime and chili. You can have this recipe as a starter or as a part of a delicious barbeque spread. Who says that BBQ’s can only be used in the summer anyway?!
Ingredients Of The Recipe
- Limes, cut into wedges – 2
- Lime zest – 2
- Finely chopped red chili – 2
- Crushed and peeled garlic – 2
- Fish sauce – 2 tablespoon
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoon
- Raw tiger prawns (with shells) – 600 gms
- Melted butter – 25 gms
Appliances: BBQ Grill to roast these scrumptious prawns
How to Cook Tiger Prawns
- Mix chilies, garlic, lime zest, olive oil, and fish sauce in a bowl and whisk nicely to blend.
- Peel off the middle sections of the shells from the prawns and leave the tail and head intact. Now, add the prawns and marinate them nicely. Cover it and refrigerate it for half an hour.
- Preheat and BBQ grill on high heat. Now, thread the prawns on the skewer for three to four minutes. Brush it with melted butter and cook for three to four minutes more. Now, remove the heat and brush with butter. Serve with lime wedges.
Tips to Choose the perfect Tiger Prawns
Let’s go through some of the tips and tricks that you should keep in mind while purchasing tiger prawns. Almost all the tiger prawns which are available at stores are kept frozen. When purchasing prawns, watch out for the below-mentioned things.
- Smell: The prawns should smell like fresh fish or seawater. If you see that there is ammonia Or iodine, make sure that you don’t purchase it.
- Colour: Avoid purchasing slightly pink tiger prawns.
- Size: Prawns come in different sizes. But, larger prawns are the best for flavouring.
How To Cook Frozen Tiger Prawns
Firstly, you need to place the prawns in a colander and keep them under running water. Here, you just need to remove the additional ice crystals from the prawns. In case you’re utilizing the wet cooking process, you can just bang the bag on the countertop to break the ice clumps.
Poaching The Prawns In Boiled Water With Extra Flavours
Fill up a pot with water and place it on the flame. Stir it nicely while adding spices and salt. Bring it to a boil and remove it from the flame. Now, mix the prawns and cover the small pot. The prawns will be done in 6 to 10 minutes. You’ll see that they are opaque and pink. Now, add all the flavours along with lemon juice, onion, and garlic. You can keep the spicy flavours as heavy or light as you require.
Roast The Prawns
Place the prawn rack in the oven. Turn on the broiler and heat it for 10 minutes. Now, you need to toss the tiger prawns into any seasoning of your choice. You can also make your own Cajun mixture or get it from the store itself. You can also utilize the taco seasoning or just sprinkle, garlic, Basil or Rosemary.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Are You Required to Cook Prawns on BBQ?
Firstly, you need to brush the barbeque platter with oil and preheat it on medium flame. Now, drizzle lemon juice and toss it with pepper and salt. Cook the prawns for 2 to 3 minutes on both sides or until the time they change their color and are opaque.
Do you need to Peel Tiger Prawns?
Well, you need to peel off the shells from the prawns. This can be done after or even before cooking. Peeling off the shells is great as it makes the recipe juicier and flavourful.
Are Tiger Prawns Healthy?
Not all tiger prawns are scrumptious. But, they have a great nutritional balance. They are a source of high proteins and this is what makes it a healthy alternative for proteins when compared to red meat. They are also a great source of minerals and vitamins, which include, vitamin B-6, Vitamin B-12, iron, and niacin.
Is It Necessary To Peel The Prawns Before BBQing?
Prawns can be grilled with or without shells. You can remove the shells except for the part that surrounds the tail of the prawns. Removing shells would allow the marination to penetrate into the meat and give it a better taste.
How To Tell That The Prawns Are Cooked?
Whenever the tiger prawns are cooked and ready, you’ll see an opaque white color with red and pink accents. This is the best way you can figure out that your prawns are cooked nicely.
How are Prawns Best Cooked?
You can prepare them in a lot of ways. Boil them for around 4 minutes and then fry them in a wok or a pan. You can also grill them.
Final Thoughts on How to Cook Tiger Prawns
This was all about how to cook tiger prawns. Let us know your thoughts and what recipes you come up with! We’ll be happy to help you in case of any queries.